Monday, September 24, 2007

Paper 1 Focus

I took a gamble with this first paper and decided to write about how women are portrayed in 1001 Nights as opposed to how they are treated today. I know for a fact that a woman has a better perspective on this topic than I do but I wanted to challenge myself and see where this paper was going to take me. In full honesty, I am still having some difficulty as to how I am going to conclude this paper but I guess that lies in my hands. Here is a sample from what I have created thus far:
“As I stated before women were considered to be a prized possession rather than a human being. It is mentioned twice that both of the kings expected their wives to be loyal and faithful. They became convinced that all women are the same unfaithful creatures. Even the beautiful women from the golden box did not hesitate to demand sexual pleasure when she discovered the two kings. Could it be safe to say that women during this time would turn their backs on their husbands for a one-night stand? Even after they stated a vow to remain loyal and trusting during the marriage ceremony? Maybe women decided that since their husbands were allowed to marry as many wives as he sought fit that they could engage in their own “fantasy”.”
I would appreciate any feedback on some ways I could add more to this paper focusing on the comparing of women in the 1001 Nights era as opposed to today’s society.

No comments: