Monday, October 8, 2007

Orientalism

After reading the article on Orientalism on the Wikipedia site I discovered that this study has many theories regarding its origins. It supposedly is the study of Eastern cultures but through peoples of the West. I’m confused by what this article is trying to achieve. If this statement were in fact true then why would people from the West travel all the way to study the cultures of the East. Back then, automobiles and other modes of transportation were not available. It seems like a strenuous hike to one part of the world to another on foot.
I personally, do not know much about the Middle East and or of its cultures. What I do know has come from films and or the news. In some sense, Orientalism reminds me a little bit of the Renaissance era, a time of artistic and literary expression.
Edward Said, the American-Palestinian is claimed to have paved the way for understanding of the Middle East.

No comments: