Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Arabian Nights and Days

For my second book I decided to stick with the author Mahfouz and chose Arabian Nights and Days. Earlier during the year we read different stories and tales of the 1001 Arabian Nights. I only got to read a few of them and was interested in many more of them. That is the one of the reasons why I chose this book.
This book does not explain in great detail the background story of how the 1001 Arabian Nights originated but it jumps right into a novel. This novel features characters from many of the 1001 Arabian Nights such as: the porter, Ugr the barber, Aladdin, Ma’rouf the cobbler, and Sindbad. In a way the chapters were similar to that of the other story I read of Mahfouz, The Day the Leader Was Killed. What I mean by this is each chapter alternates with the perspectives of each character. Except in Arabian Nights and Days when a new chapter begins you know that the following chapter is going to be about that certain characters story or journey. The first few chapters focus on a man named, Sanaan who accidentally releases a genie who demands that Sanaan kill the governor of his village. The events that lead up to the governor’s murder by Sanaan are very disturbing although it was not as graphic as it led it to be. I plan on writing my final paper on this book although I am not sure what the paper will focus on.

No comments: